In Barumini a nuraghic site World Heritage of the Unesco

In Barumini a nuraghic site World Heritage of the Unesco

Su Nuraxi (Barumini) is the most well-known nuraghic site in the world, and also one of most visited and studied. Since 1997 it belongs to the list of the World Heritages of the Unesco. Uncovered in 1951 by the professor Giovanni Lilliu, a Sardinian archaeologist of international renown and a Member of the Academy of the Lincei, is made of a nuragh with a complex structure (it was built in five different phases, it is intuitable from its stratigraphy): four angular towers connected by a curtain wall around the main tower, erected in 1470 B.C. (once it was a three-floors nuragh, but of the last one remain today only the basalt blocks of the first ring), and the remains of a big village.

Barumini - Su Nuraxi

Barumini – Su Nuraxi

In the central courtyard there is a pit which draws the water at a depth of twenty meters which is: still fed today by a rich water table. In the middle of a the building lays a seat in stone which scholars think it could have been the ancients meeting place where to talk about politics and religion. All the territory, however, is rich in nuraghs and evidences of the nuraghic period.